Pages


"Let's be cheerful"! We have no more right to steal the brightness out of the day for our own family than we have to steal the purse of a stranger. Let us be as careful that our homes are furnished with pleasant & happy thoughts as we are that the rugs are the right color and texture & the furniture comfortable and beautiful"! Laura Ingalls Wilder

Monday, February 4, 2013

what is this cold box with a light?




What's wrong with this picture?  Absolutely nothing in this house!  Dressing up (dress up) has been a natural part of growing up 'round here and I'm thankful that it's still a part of their grown up years.

When Erin was little (these pictures are of Audrey) she was the dress up queen.  She didn't just like to pretend she was someone else, she was someone else.  She would wake up and put on the outfit of the month bringing me the hairbrush and directing me in the proper do. The personas that stand out most in my memory (obviously they were the longest lived here) were Dorothy of The Wizard of Oz, always Toto was in her basket, Princess Leia, remember Erin has a brother who is 9 years older than her, and Princess Putra, from a stage performance of The Princess and the Pea.






A memorable couple of years from when Cory and Hillary were still little and Erin and Audrey were just babies had our home school focused on the pioneer days as we worked through the Prairie Primer.  The dress up box held bonnets, pinafores, prairie dress, coon skin cap, buckskin jacket, black powder gun...  These are some of my favorite memories.  

We now have our dress up trunk. When I go through it I realize that it's been maturing along with the girls. There wasn't room to hang on to everything so Dorothy dresses and prairie bonnets have mostly been moved out to make room for evening gowns and tea hats. I gave some of them away to the mothers of youngers in our group over the years.  I have a suspicion though that many of the oldies are tucked away in boxes in the basement.  I hope so.  It's almost time to restock for my grands!



Blessings, Debbie



10 comments:

  1. It sounds like a bottomless trunk to me, containing whatever is required therein. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN! You will have a good time with the grands and the dress up box. Your girls are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to come and live at your house and be in your class! <3 Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!

    We do love a good dress up too!

    Sarah is like your Erin, I think. She puts together costumes and becomes someone!

    Delightful!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I loved this while reading this my memories of my girls with their truck of dressup costumes popped into my head. I love when that happens. Beautiful shots. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  6. First I love your post title, No Spring Chicken. Second I love the post for it brought memories of those dress up times with my daughter. Also dress up was huge things the little girls on our support base in Papua New Guinea did. Because of the remote area we lived in one had to "make up" play. So often we did not have electricity and even when we finally got it full time by our own generator, there was only one tv station to watch. Thrift stores in the nearest town provided the girls so much fun, shopping was cheap in those stores so a whole outfit could be bought. When the girls went off the boarding school about 9th grade the passed on the play clothers to the next set of girls. Really sweet post. Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin and my Amy should be twins! Do your girls enjoy Masterpiece Theatre too? Downtown Abbey is a favorite at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charis never gets dressed - she puts on a costume - nothing is ever just clothes to her - it is her persona of the day. Kira has stuffed animals that are very involved in her every day activities.

    I get it!! It is fun to have creative kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the creativity fostered in your home!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...