Pages


"Let's be cheerful"! We have no more right to steal the brightness out of the day for our own family than we have to steal the purse of a stranger. Let us be as careful that our homes are furnished with pleasant & happy thoughts as we are that the rugs are the right color and texture & the furniture comfortable and beautiful"! Laura Ingalls Wilder

Friday, May 20, 2011

cinnamon swirl bread



For years I've made my own bread.  Not exclusively.  I envy those who do, I just haven't been able to rhythm that into my life at this point.  I have a dinner roll recipe that is quick and I make them several times a week.  We love home-made pizza so I make it at least 3 times a month.  The crust is a quick yeast dough that turns out quite nice.  I've already shared my tortilla recipe.




Today I share my recipe for cinnamon bread.  This is wonderful fresh out of the oven, or toasted in the morning with butter for a quick breakfast.  If you already enjoy making bread I hope you like this recipe.  If you are not comfortable with the process I would encourage you to try this one.  Something about this loaf makes people very forgiving (perhaps the cinnamon and sugar) of imperfection!




Cinnamon Swirl Bread a la Debbie

1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup butter
7 cups flour (+ or - as needed)
6 T sugar
2 t salt
4 1/2 t dry yeast (or 2 pkgs)
3 eggs (room temp.)

Filling
2 t cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
(I have a shaker that always has cinnamon and sugar)
3 T melted butter

1 egg white beaten



Combine water and butter in saucepan.  Heat over low heat until very warm (120-130 F.  It's okay if butter is not melted.  In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients including yeast.  Slowly mix in wet ingredients adding more flour if dough is too sticky (a softer dough makes for a better loaf so avoid going too crazy with the flour).  
Turn onto floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes.  Place in an oiled bowl, turning to grease the top.  Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes.  

Turn dough onto work surface and cut in half.  Roll each half into a rectangle that fits the length of your bread pan.  Brush with melted butter and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar, coming right to the edge.  Roll jelly roll style, pinch bottom seam closed and gently pinch and tuck ends under.  Place loaves in greased pans.
Cover and allow to rise a second time 40 minutes.

Bake in 375 degree preheated oven for 40 minutes, remove bread and brush with beaten egg white.  Return to oven and cook for 5 more minutes.





Blessings, Debbie

35 comments:

  1. I love cinnamon ~ what a great recipe ! Thank-you for stopping by my blog I will add you to my list. Have a blessed day! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful loaves, and it sounds very good! I'll give it a try:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coming to your house for breakfast in the morning!! Maa
    Mmmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy does that look good! Bet it would make some nice French toast. Everyone's posting wonderful breakfast recipes today. Makes my little bowl of porridge look so inadequate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how I am suppose to complete this cleanse if you keep posting recipes that I JUST have to try! It looks wonderful Debbie. Have a great weekend.
    PS- The chicken hanging out on the wee one in my picture is Beatrix Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh oh Debbie I am coping this down and will give it a go as I am very very hungry now. Thank you it looks delicious. B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making bread. I used to do a cinnamon and raisin bread. I love the cinnamon swirl in yours. I am going to give this one a go. Doesn't the house smell heavenly when you bake with cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, this looks like a slice of heaven!!! Bread baking is one of the best smells in the world! thank you for the recipe. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Debbie, Thanks for sharing this cinnamon bread, and wish I had some this morning with my eggs.... I see you have one of those beautiful napkins that you made, I plan to make some for us, this was such a great idea.

    I finally got a chance to come back and find out what your surprise was, I loved your last post, and I know one girl who is loved a lot.... What a beautiful trip and what a beautiful family you have.

    Thank you for your very sweet comment, I was so blessed!
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debbie! YUM! Cinnamon Bread sounds so cheery and it tastes so sweet. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! That looks amazing Debbie! YUM! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm putting this on my must try list. Can't wait to check out your other recipes. You have a beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing...this is the second post this morning on baking bread....convictions, is God yelling or what?

    I now what I am going to be doing this weekend...thanks so much for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, you make this sound so easy! Those loaves are beautiful. I am eating my egg whites rolled up in a low-carb, high fiber 50 calorie tortilla and smelling the cinnamony goodness in my head! xo,

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm...looks good! cinnamon swirl bread is a favorite in our house too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't made cinnamon swirl bread in a long time. Thanks for sharing this - I'll have to try this recipe for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so glad you enjoyed making the caramels I have been wanting to do more since we gave them all away and also dip them in chocolate. It was fun and the salt adds such a nice twist to them

    So glad you got to do them...you are a great helper to your friend...true jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yummy! This looks so good. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, that looks soooo good! You're right about cinnamon and sugar. It will cover a multitude of sins;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm... your bread looks so delicious and pretty too. If I make bread I usually do so in the bread machine. Seems like any time I try it the other way, it never rises like it should. Maybe this is the recipe for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so good. I have a daughter just in the next town who loves bread so I must make this! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy!!! I love making bread and have yet to make it exclusively for our family. I am getting there though!!

    Teresa
    http://creativecowgirl.co

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for posting! I have a good recipe for cinnamon bread but it's packed :( I'll give this one a go. I need a trade-off from bagel making.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow...does that ever look good! Hmmmm...I'll be sewing tomorrow...bet I could be making this luscious bread in between stitches, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  24. The recipe sounds delicious! I'm going to definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the recipe. It makes you feel hungry just looking at it! I will be baking this bread tomorrow for sure. Thankyou also for your comment on my blog. I havn't had such a good month and have neglected my blog but hope to rectify it now. Love reading yours. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. O that I could eat bread -- it looks so good and I bet the smell sends eveyone into the kitchen... I bet also it makes for a good morning wake-up sleepy eyes..wink!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, WOW! I just made bread the other day...I do it too seldom, but, I am VERY anxious to try your recipe here! I bet it is awesome toasted, with butter! mmmmmmmmmmmm
    Thanks for sharing...I'm off to read more....
    SherryBee in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  28. Homemade bread is the BEST. Cinamon is right up there too :-) This sounds delicious, and the smell of it baking must be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Charlotte ate her *Pepperidge Farm* cinnamon bread this morning with gusto, all the while saying how she loves it. Now I might need to get her to help me in baking some of your cinnamon bread. Thank you for the recipe...and the encouragement to bake a loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh my, this is stirring up something deep inside me! I've GOT to try this! The only bread making I've tried is with a bread machine and I haven't had any luck. Your loaves look so wonderful. Going to my cupboard to check for yeast...!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do make our own bread...exclusively, as you put it... except for the rare occasion that we actually run out and have to get a loaf of storebought...gag.... ick....soorry... I just don't like it anymore. I love my own bread. It took many years to get over my "fear" of yeast...silly me...and, not so much fear...but, fear of the unknown really. It took a young man to sort me out... on his blog about bread....


    However, now that I have...how I love to experiment with all sorts of breads. 'Specially love my peasant type Tuscan bread... and now I am trying to find the perfect cornmeal loaf like one I tasted in Portugal...the search goes on.......

    I'll definitely give your lovely looking cinnamon loaf a try....thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks so yummy. I love makin my own breads, pizza doughs & flour tortillas too, theyre not prefect but thats ok, atleast I know they are healthier for us.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Debbie, I've been reading your posts this morning with great joy. Love this recipe, will try that soon! Greetings from the other side of the Atlantic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mmmm....my family loves Cinnamon bread! I'm going to give this recipe a try . . . very soon!

    Thank you, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This recipe looks wonderful! I'm making lots more by scratch these days and loving it! Is it possible to "pin" this recipe? I'd love to keep it with my other bread recipes...
    Thanks for your sweet blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...