Pages


"Let's be cheerful"! We have no more right to steal the brightness out of the day for our own family than we have to steal the purse of a stranger. Let us be as careful that our homes are furnished with pleasant & happy thoughts as we are that the rugs are the right color and texture & the furniture comfortable and beautiful"! Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thursday, March 17, 2011

goin' green







"Faith and begorrha"!  "Green pancakes"?  "Well, of course darling, it's Saint Patrick's Day"!
Sappy huh?  Truth is it went more like this:   pinch.
                                                                  "ouch"
                                                                  "oh, yea, it's Saint Patrick's Day"
                                                                  "Are you going to make pancakes"?
                                                                  "of course.......... It's tradition".  Smile.

can't see the green here, just trust me




one upside down (so you see green), one right side up (so you see edible)
The secret is to start this tradition when they are about 2 years old.

Two year olds think green pancakes are so clever.
Then when they are all grown up...


How is it they always show up (and with friends) when food is ready
...and they step into the kitchen, they don't see greenish blobs.  They see shamrocks with their 2 year old eyes and say,  "Whoa, is it St. Patricks Day"?  "Sweet"!

Today I am thankful for children who are delighted with my simple offerings.  Yes, I am thankful.


Beannacht,  Debbie

13 comments:

  1. Debbie..thanks so much for stopping by my blog...my you are very creative....I think it's neat that your grown up kids still like your shamrock pancakes....I know what you mean abt kids growing up...my oldest will be 37 this year! It all goes too quickly...but I will admit to being ready for the last 4 to sprout their wings...I must be getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Debbie! Lovely post, pancakes look so delicious! I was looking around and you gave me idea to make a 'purse' to keep papers, cards etc. those you have made for your girls! Thank you for your visit and sweet comment!
    I wish you sunny weekend! Teje
    Ps. I had all the books of Laura Ingalls and watched tv serials - I loved her stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your green pancakes - what a sweet thing to do for your family.
    Warm wishes,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool, wish I'd started this when my kids were young... and thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your shamrock pancakes are terrific!! I am sure the older kids still appreciate them too...:) They will more though when they leave home. It always makes you miss those comfort foods when they aren't so easy to get.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    xoxo Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think boys will always love being fed, and who doesn't love pancakes!

    I saw the gorgeous pink knitted dress a few posts down and I can see why the beanie I'm knitting would go well with it. There is a link in my post to the pattern or just search for the Wurm Beanie on Ravelry. I think I knit the large size but because I'm using a thinner yarn it has turned out baby sized. If you figure out how many stitches to cast on for a 12mo it would be a very straight forward knit. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tradition, I will have to start something similar with my girls

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much fun..and of course I love the big guys saying, "oh sweet!" a term my 20 plus year olds use. We did eat a lot of green things on St. Patrick's Day which thrilled my 5 year old.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog...and I so agree on the swim suit thing.

    At the bottom of my blog page I tell about the vintage photos and why I use them....my picture and hubby are on the side bar twice, one is our 30th Anniversary pic. Again, thanks for stopping by and I am enjoying visiting yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this tradition and yes, 2 year olds love it alot but secretly so do the big kids. Thanks for visiting and your nice comments. I am your newest follower. I love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! The shamrocks look great. I have made green pancakes, but not shamrocks. And the 'grown' kids' reaction is priceless!
    BTW, I love your Sunday night dinner. I pop my corn on the stove too. Makes it more fun and it's really not much more work. Plus, way more satisfaction!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is right up my alley as a mom!! I miss having my girls home so that we can do fun things like this. We never did shamrock pancakes, but you can bet your sweet bippy that the next time I have guinea pigs at home on St. Pat's Day, I'll be trying that. I love fun stuff.

    And you're right, you have to start them out early on the goofy stuff, and then... they're hooked for life. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I LOVE your LIW quote at the top. I'm a big Laura fan.

    I'm so behind in my blog reading because of being out of town and computer gremlins. I can't wait to have a pair of minutes to come back here and get to know you better. I see that some of my favorite bloggers happen to visit here too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. New to your blog and really enjoyed your posts, especially cooking green pancakes! Wonderful idea to start with my 2yr old! Will be back often to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...