Pages


"Let's be cheerful"! We have no more right to steal the brightness out of the day for our own family than we have to steal the purse of a stranger. Let us be as careful that our homes are furnished with pleasant & happy thoughts as we are that the rugs are the right color and texture & the furniture comfortable and beautiful"! Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another quick meal




Yesterday was another one of those days.  The kind where you are going to be gone or busy most of the day and so you need to think ahead if your family is going to eat!




This particular day I felt a little scrappy.  Sometimes scrappy is stressful.  Other times it's fun.  

Now, while you're in the mood, quickly attack the 'fridge' and pantry and freezer.  Think main ingredient first (usually meat) and build off of your choice.  I love being able to use up little snippets and things 'on the brink', so to speak.  I feel so resourceful. 

We hadn't had Taco Soup Chili in a long time so beginning with a couple of packages of Larry's elk burger and some previously prepared and frozen pinto beans I began digging.

I prefer not to use the microwave, but in a pinch.........I am thankful for it

I save my onion skins for dying eggs

Ingredients List:
*I made double the amount I would normally make so that I would have extra for church the next day.  We    
always potluck after.

2 lbs. elk burger (November 2010 6x6 bull.  If that's too much information I'm sorry.  It will thrill my hubby!)
1-2 onions, diced
2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2-3 T chili powder
approx. 45 oz. diced tomatoes (I used salsa because it needed to be used)
approx. 1 1/2 lbs. prepared pinto beans with liquid
2-15 oz. cans corn with liquid
approx. 15 oz. diced green chilies                        
1 can olives-sliced




Optional toppings:                                           
                                                                           
Tortilla chips
Shredded cheese
sour cream
diced cilantro 
chopped green onion





Preparation:  Brown burger with onion and garlic.  Transfer to crock pot.  Add all other ingredients, except for toppings- I don't think you would have put those in but I'm not taking any chances.  Turn crock pot on high if there is time, just to bring to a simmer and intensify flavors.  Don't forget to set it to low before leaving.




Now rinse out the cans and put them in the recycle bin, rinse the freezer bags and hang them upside down over your wooden spoons to dry.  Wash and dry the skillet you fried the burger in and any utensils used.  




Wipe down your counters and you will leave knowing that when you get home dinner is ready and the kitchen is clean!  It's a very good feeling.


Blessings,  Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...